Major problems in the Ghanaian society, especially in the capital Accra are filth and gutters full of silt. Let’s talk about cleanliness and associated benefits.
Several efforts from central government, local government, private sector and individuals to make Accra the cleanest city have proved futile.
Filth and silt have engulfed the city of Accra in most areas even neighbourhoods regarded as expensive and for the affluent residents.
water ways and gutters are either choked with silt or covered with structures preventing free flow of water and/or flood during rainy days.
These have unleashed undue inconvenience on residents and businesses in the city being the main causes of diseases Ghanaians battle today, (malaria, fever, diarrhea etc.)
As humans and plant benefit significantly from the environment-being the lifeline of living organisms with the provision of fresh air, food, resources etc. it is therefore imperative to protect the environment and keep it very clean.
Let’s consider some 20 benefits of keeping the environment clean
Importance of keeping the environment clean
- Lengthen lifespan; decrease in lifespan is closely linked to the increasing pollution. Cleaning the environment reverses pollution effects.
- Healthy living; failing to keep the environment clean paves way for pollutants and toxins that have harmful effects to your health.
- Reduces global warming; some dirt emits greenhouse gases that trap heating leading to an increase in average temperatures.
- Creation of safe haven for future generations; your future family will appreciate your efforts towards a conducive environment.
- Biodiversity; keeping the environment clean ensures members of the ecosystem have habitats to thrive.
- Appreciation; the environment gives us a lot for free and it is only natural that we appreciate it by keeping it clean.
- Creation of renewable energy sources; keeping our environment clean creates renewable energy to reduce stress on non-renewable
- Attracts multinational companies; MNC’s establish companies resulting in huge economic growth in the area.
- So it can sustain us; the environment is and will be our home for eternity. For the ecosystem to provide for us, we need to preserve it.
- Safety; cleaning the environment ensures that it is free from clutter that makes it hard navigate safely.
- Social responsibility; keeping the environment clean, safe, healthy and conducive is our social responsibility.
- Saves money; cleaning the environment eradicates germs and harmful insects that would otherwise require a lot of to exterminate.
- Imparts positive values on children; keeping the environment clean imparts a civic sense in all community members.
- Unity; keeping our environment clean by collectively picking dirt brings people together thus fostering unity.
- Preserves food chain; environmental pollution can destroy one organism in the food chain putting a negative impact on human beings.
- Ensures the survival of vanishing organism; some extinct species can vanish entirely if we do not keep our environment clean.
- Inner satisfaction; being self-responsible by cleaning the environment goes a long way in giving us fulfillment.
- Promotes tourism; tourists enjoy vesting places that are clean and well-maintained increasing revenue in the region.
- Employment opportunities; keeping the environment clean attracts foreign investors who will establish industries in the region.
- Creates more space; huge heaps of garbage and debris occupies a lot of space preventing us from utilizing it.
Now let’s keep the environment clean, let’s protect the environment for ourselves and for the unborn generations, not forgetting…’cleanliness is next to Godliness’